Beauty Essential: Dry Body Brushing
Our beautiful skin is our largest organ and the protector of our bodies. Imagine a quick and easy way to boost your skins powers enabling it to detoxify and protect your entire body better – and to help it glow! It just takes three words “Dry body brushing” and a little commitment!
How to Body Brush
You will need a natural bristled body brush. We like the Elemis body detox skin brush as it is both long (for your back) and the handle comes off making it great for really working on your thighs. This is also a medium brush which is great when you are starting our or have sensitive skin.
The key is long brush strokes towards your beautiful heart. This boosts circulation and helps your lymphatic system detoxify. Begin with your feet and work your way up to you stomach, back and arms. Avoid your face and any sensitive/ delicate areas or any areas with irritations or abrasions.
The pressure should be firm but not painful, giving your skin a pink hue after brushing – not red.
To maximize its benefits have a shower or bath afterwards. We enjoy doing this in the morning before our shower as a real boost to the whole day.
Dry skin brushing should be done daily for best results, or even twice a day if you like. Try incorporating it into your normal daily routine, such as doing your brushing before your morning shower.
Benefits of Body Brushing
1. Boosting Lymphatic Drainage & Boosting Blood Circulation = Detox
Our Lymphatic System eliminates our body’s cellular waste and toxins. Dry body brushing stimulates the nerve network beneath our skin, which increases blood circulation and then stimulates our lymphatic drainage system. When our lymphatic drainage is working at its optimal more toxins are released which reduces any lymphatic congestion. As our blood circulation has improved the released toxins are then eliminated quicker through metabolic waste. With our body running more effectively – any inflammation is decreased in our body which lowers the risk of certain diseases.
2. Bye bye Cellulite! (Yay!!!)
Dry body brushing helps diminish the appearance of cellulite in two ways. Firstly it softens the hard fat deposits allowing them to distribute more evenly (smoother). Secondly as toxins in our body break down the connective tissues between fat deposits, when the toxins are removed are connective tissues are strengthened and again the appearance of cellulite is lessened.
3. Exfoliation = brighter more beautiful skin
Dry body brushing helps remove dead dry skin and encourages new cell renewal. Your skin is brighter, smoother and more beautiful.
4. Stress relief = making you feel great!
As you are massaging your whole body muscle tension is reduced. Also by stimulating the nerve endings in your skin it helps your nervous system and you just feel more relaxed and invigorated at the same time!
Caring for your brush
Make sure everyone has their own brush. Wash your brush once a week with soap and warm water and allow it to dry properly. You can also spritz tea tree oil over it after brushing as it is a natural antiseptic.
Kora Organics has listed the following as precautions:
- “Never skin brush over inflamed skin e.g. open wounds, inflamed sores, varicose veins, sunburnt skin.
- Never skin brush during an active cancer state.
- Avoid breasts & genitalia area.
- If pregnant seek doctor’s advice first before skin brushing.
- Wash brush before use.
- If an allergic reaction appears stop brushing.
- A slight reddening of the skin (erythema) is normal, it is the blood circulation responding to the skin brushing.
- It is recommended not to brush on freshly shaved legs. If you are going to a spa to get body brushing either hold off from shaving your legs before the appointment or shave the day before.
- If you have a severe dry skin condition, start with a soft bristle plant body brush and follow it with an organic body oil like Coconut oil, Jojoba oil or Rose Hip oil to soothe and hydrate, once the skin starts to return to normal then upgrade to a firmer bristle brush.”
Sara & Tamara xx
Natural body brushes are available in Boots, good Pharmacies and the Body Shop.
Elemis body detox skin brush: retails at AED 169 and is available at Elemis.
Pingback: Summer Beauty: Body Scrubs & Exfoliators for Glowing Skin - iamTamara.com
Pingback: Bye Bye Cellulite! Part 2 - Home Routine - iamTamara.com